With a mission to promote sustainable land use, Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center includes a 25-acre organic farm, an education center, and native plant nursery located on 200 acres of forest and valley land in the Snoqualmie Valley, 25 miles east of Seattle. The farm supports a 700-member CSA and supplies local restaurants and independent grocery stores with local, organic produce. Our education center, which has a working small farm and Living Playground, is committed to teaching children about sustainable agriculture and the environment. At Oxbow children see firsthand where their food comes from, where salmon spawn, and understand why we need to protect both. The Native Plant Nursery, built in 2013, is a production, research and education facility. We aim to grow the highest quality native plants for restoration, mitigation and landscaping, using ecologically sound practices, and foster research and education that contribute to the restoration and nursery-growing community.
The nursery production assistant will work with the full time nursery staff in all aspects of seedling production, research and restoration during the growing season. The position requires someone able to take on responsibility, work with attention to detail, a background and interest in botany, horticulture, nursery science and/or environmental stewardship, and an enthusiasm for native plants and their propagation.
• Perform duties around crop production, including sowing, thinning, transplanting, pruning, re-organizing nursery stock, weeding, irrigation, seed collection and cleaning, and inventory practices.
• Assist in putting together plant orders, loading delivery vehicles.
• Maintaining organization and cleanliness of the nursery and equipment.
• Assist with nursery research projects: maintenance and data collection.
• Participate in site preparation, maintenance and native planting activities on site.
• Strong background in botany, environmental science, horticulture, or related field (nursery experience and/or higher education in the field preferred)
• Experience in gardening, plant propagation, or restoration activities, and a strong desire to learn more
• Consistent attention to detail
• Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity when necessary, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique
• Clear, consistent communication
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center ~ 10819 Carnation-Duvall Rd. NE., Carnation, WA 98014
• Ability to work: standing, sitting, bending over or kneeling; to lift heavy & awkward objects, up to 50 lbs.; perform physical work such as digging or planting; and in inclement weather.
$10-$12 per hour with some paid holidays and access to food from the fields
Please email a resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Megan Boyce-Jacobs Finance & Operations Manager Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center email@example.com www.oxbow.org
Please write “NPN Production Assistant” in the email subject line and include where you found this position in the message body.
Deadline to apply is Sunday, February 14, 2016