Job Summary: The Designer is responsible for creating fresh and updated planted containers and arrangements to delight our customers year round. Our designers use their artistic talents and creative eye to provide customers with compelling, unique designs for every occasion and style of home décor while adhering to the departmental production plan. The Designer will actively engage with customers to understand their specific needs and preferences and to educate them on Molbak’s complete offering of services, products and solutions.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, produce, display, promote, maintain, price and sell Container Gardens and Custom Design Services for both indoor and outdoor plants.
- For custom orders, schedule appts, prepare and present bid proposals or estimates as needed.
- Provide specific plant information, availability, pricing, and cultural care to customers when working with live plant custom orders. Cross-sell hard line goods as appropriate.
- Create fresh and updated designs for customers, interpreting and translating their ideas and preferences into beautiful containers that exceed customer expectations.
- Fulfill custom orders efficiently and completely from initial consultation to final purchase and delivery of finished container designs.
- Meet established production goals for custom and standard designs, including seasonal arrangements and work to drive increased business and sales through department.
- Anticipate significant “gifting” holidays and plan / plant ahead to prepare for grab-n-go sales opportunities. Focus on growing sales in every category.
- Produce design work in a cost conscious, productive and efficient manner according to established design standards and plans.
- Monitor and maintain inside and outside Container Gardens daily to make sure we have an appropriate supply of high-quality, fresh, beautiful retail offerings.
- Accurately record, review and route stock transfer records, sales reports, production records, holiday reports and special orders. Complete required paperwork promptly.
- Receive, unpack and organize back stock of product and supplies, maintaining a neat and well-organized work area.
- Assist with sales and stocking product on the floor; assist with merchandise displays and other related tasks as necessary (sweep, dust, water, pinch back, deadhead, refresh).
- Schedule deliveries and coordinate with drivers to insure timely order fulfillment.
- Train new designers and production staff to create and plant to Molbak’s design and production standards.
- Drive Molbak’s company vehicle on occasion to complete custom jobs and pick up department supplies / product (valid Washington State driver’s license and clean driving record required).
- Lead seminars and workshops showing methods of creating arrangements and containers.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong working knowledge of the principles and elements of design – commitment to continued growth and education.
- Adept at interpreting and designing across a broad range of styles and individual tastes.
- Able to balance creativity and accuracy in a fast-paced, high-productivity environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team to get the job done.
- Able to prioritize tasks and adjust pace in response to shifting work-related demands.
- Able to represent Molbak’s in a professional manner in both individual and group settings.
- Able to work standing, bending, walking and lifting for an entire shift; able to repeatedly lift and move up to 30 lbs.
- 3+ years prior experience in container/plant design, production and sales.
- Broad and deep knowledge of plants (both indoor and outdoor plants) and their environmental needs specific to the Northwest is required.
- Coursework, certificate or degree in horticultural design is preferred.
- Previous plant and retail sales experience.
- Able to work in extreme temperatures and all weather conditions.
- Retail horticultural / production environment in greenhouse facility.
- On site and off site outdoor planting in open weather conditions.
- Desire to live the Molbak’s brand, support the culture, & maintain a high level of energy & enthusiasm.
Policy: Comply with all company guidelines
This job description is only a summary of typical functions and is not a complete list of possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Other duties as assigned by a manager.
How to Apply:
Via Email: Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
In-Store: See our Employment Kiosk in the Reception Area near Home and Gift