Salary: $16.76 - $23.14 Hourly
Job Type: Part-Time
Location: Bellevue Botanical Garden, 12001 Main St, Bellevue, Washington
Department: Parks and Community Services
This position is a part-time position that provides an opportunity to participate in many areas of botanical garden operations. Performs a variety of manual labor tasks as assigned. Work consists of routine and repetitive tasks, processes, and/or operations and will be performed cooperatively with other employees and completed in a manner that assures individual, co-worker, and public safety in all weather and working conditions. Employee mostly works independently on the basis of clear instructions. Work is to be completed with appropriate efficiency and in a manner that commands the respect of or demonstrates appropriate courtesy to, co-workers, and the public.
28 hours per week, Monday – Thursday 7:30 am – 3:00 pm
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform grounds and garden maintenance operations including weeding, pruning, raking, deadheading, planting, backpack blowing, sweeping and trash and debris removal.
- Special event set-up and take down.
- Interacting with public, volunteers and garden staff.
- Plant identification and mapping.
- Communicate with plant records staff when plants are moved, added to or removed from the collections.
- Removal of invasive species including manual vegetation control.
- Work around a variety of garden user groups and the general public.
- Work directly with volunteer groups and city staff during special projects and events.
- Limited office work, inventory management, and related minor administrative duties.
- Ability to multi-task, handle frequent interruptions.
- Ability to respond to public questions and inquiries.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to learn to operate safely the equipment and machinery necessary to perform assigned tasks.
- Ability to listen and understand direction/instruction, communicates with team members, and responds to customers tactfully and courteously.
- Ability to learn how to access information in BBG plant database.
- Ability to locate plants on garden’s mapping system.
- Must be able to communicate effectively.
- Knowledge of plants and growing requirements.
- Two years’ experience in grounds and garden maintenance.
- Basic mechanical skills and manual dexterity.
- Knowledge of preventative maintenance processes, techniques, and procedures.
- Working knowledge of and familiarity with hand-held power tools and related maintenance equipment.
- Exposure/experience adhering to safety rules and procedures.
- High school diploma or a GED.
This is a part-time, non-exempt, union position, (Teamsters Local #763).
Definition of a Part-time Employee:
- Will clearly average 28 hours per week or less
- Note: Will be considered full-time and eligible for medical coverage if hours average 30 hours per week or more over a 12-month measurement period (or 130 hours per month)
Seasonal, part-time, and variable employees have no benefits except for mandatory participation in the retirement plan assigned to the position, which will be the Municipal Employees Benefit Trust (MEBT II) retirement plan or the Washington State Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) retirement plan.