Heyday Farm is a family-run 25-acre sustainable and historic farm on
Bainbridge Island. In addition to championing and growing local food, our
focus is on building community and educating. By respecting the environment
and its limits, we grow food of the highest integrity, taste and quality.
Our name comes from our commitment to increase our collective nourishment
just as farms did back in their heydays.
We hire people who love good food, have integrity, work hard, communicate
well, are curious, attentive and sensitive to the needs of others (people,
animals and land), have a sense of humor and are fun to be around.
We are currently looking for a Groundskeeper. While everyone
does a little of everything on our diversified farm with gardens and animals,
this position is mainly responsible for meticulous landscape maintenance and
garden work with occasional help needed in other areas of our operation. We have
two locations for our farm and gardens on both. One location has more ornamental
gardens, herbs, landscaping and crops and the other location has crops. We also
have greenhouses. Duties include creating a daily, weekly and seasonal
maintenance calendar, identifying additional labor needs, doing the work as well
as leading interns and other employees. Weeding, pruning, trimming, mowing,
sweeping, planting, harvesting, hand tool and machinery work will all be part of
the job. All will ensure that the grounds and gardens are beautifully
maintained. And all organic practices are a must.
• Familiarity with organic farming and landscape maintenance practices
• Familiarity and compliance with all safety, cleaning and regulatory requirements (including Good Agricultural Practices (GAPS) and food safety requirements) for our farming operation
• Clear record keeping in accordance to farm manager specifications
• Advising farm managers about any issues with the facility and equipment
• Helping to develop and improve systems to make the operation run more effectively
This position is physically demanding and requires strength and the ability to climb, crouch, lift and carry a minimum of 30 lbs.
Housing: Onsite housing is available for rent.
Professional experience or an educational background in landscape maintenance is desired.
Hours per Week: 40
Wage/Salary: Pay will be dependent on experience.
Employment Start Date: 2/1/2014
Please consider carefully if this position is a good fit for you. Landscape maintenance and farming is hard work and requires meticulous attention to detail, stamina and complete reliability. We also spend time training and helping our staff become a strong team. We want people who will stick with us. After careful consideration if the position is a good fit, please answer the application questions in the body of an email and send to
email@example.com. No attachments please.
We’ll review applicant information and contact those that meet our requirements. We will only respond to those who submit complete applications. For those that do, we will
let you know if we’d like to do a phone interview. For those that seem like good
candidates, we will also arrange an in-person interview. As soon as we’ve
completed the hiring process we will let all applicants know.
1. What is your contact information and the best way to reach you?
2. Where are you currently living?
3. Why do you want to work at Heyday Farm?
4. What are your long-term goals?
5. How long would you like to work at our farm?
6. What were your last 4 jobs, dates of employment, why you took the job, what you contributed and gained while there and the circumstances and why you left?
7. Do you want to live in our onsite housing
and do you have any extenuating needs related to housing? More than one car?
A pet? A family?
8. What are your skills and experience related to meticulous attention to detail?
9. What are your skills and experience related to strong organization?
10. What are your skills and experience related to repair and maintenance?
11. What are your skills and experience related to hard work?
12. What makes you a good leader and/or team member?