Req #: 107961
Department: FACILITIES SERVICES: MAINTENANCE & CONSTRUCTION Appointing Department Web Address: http://www.washington.edu/facilities
Job Location: Seattle Campus
Job Location Detail: Grounds Management Posting Date: 06/09/2014 Closing Info: Closes On 06/23/2014
Salary: $2532 to $3359/month
Union Position: Yes This classification is governed by a negotiated labor contract and is subject to union shop provisions. For more information about union shop provisions, visit Union Information
Shift: M - F; 5:55am-2:25pm -or- 6:55am-3:25pm
Notes: This recruitment may be used to fill 2 positions.
The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoy outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
Facilities Services is the large and diverse organization that operates and maintains the Seattle campus facilities, grounds, utility distribution, transportation, waste management and environmental sustainability programs, and provides engineering direction for campus construction. Our highly skilled and dedicated staff share a strong sense of stewardship and take pride in working together to support the University’s teaching, research and public service programs.
Maintenance & Construction has an outstanding opportunity for a Gardener 2. Under general supervision, the Gardener 2 will perform specialized grounds duties requiring the skill and knowledge of cultivation and maintenance of trees, lawns and ornamental plants.
- Prepare ground for planting seeds, bulbs, plants, seasonal flowers, shrubs, lawns, and trees; seed, mow, fertilize and maintain lawns.
- Maintain plants through accepted horticultural standards.
- Control invasive and noxious weeds through Integrated Pest Management strategies and practices.
- Rake and remove leaves and litter from campus grounds; remove snow and ice from assigned pathways and stairs.
- Drive service truck as required; load and unload materials and supplies.
- Use a variety of hand implements and tools, such as rakes, pruning shears, and loppers; operate commercial power equipment such as tractors, trucks, mowers, tillers, sweepers, chain saws, trimmers and sprayers.
- Keep leads and supervisors informed of project status/work progress, and needed materials and equipment.
- Communicate and coordinate with other Facilities Services’ shops and Engineering Services to facilitate work.
- Know and comply with occupational health and safety regulations that apply to work actions and conduct on the job, including Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) instructions, and the use of personal protective equipment whenever required.
- Identify with organizational strategies and goals in order to contribute ideas towards the improvement of daily work practices and processes.
- Interact with clients, coworkers, management, staff and students in a courteous and professional manner, with particular attention to excellent customer service.
- Follow all University and Facilities Services’ policies and procedures.
- Attend all required meetings and trainings.
- May instruct semiskilled workers.
- Perform related duties as required.
Additional requirements include:
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
Appointment to this position is contingent upon obtaining satisfactory results from a criminal background check.
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Workforce Authorization, Criminal Conviction History, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.