- Assist the Garden Supervisor in garden planning, cultivation, maintenance tasks and serve as an additional resource for questions and information about the garden and the plants for students and for the public
- Assist in all aspects of organic production, including soil building, seasonal planning, seed and crop selection, ordering and buying seed, starting seeds, transplanting starts, planting, watering, fertilizing, pest control, weeding, crop rotation and companion planting, cold frame installation and use, expanding and building new beds, clearing and winterizing beds, cover-cropping, harvesting, saving seeds and selling produce on campus
- Assist in supervision of work-study personnel and division of labor amongst them
- Assist in the garden to lab process
- Provide garden tours as requested
--Assist in oversight of workshops held in the lab or in the garden by tracking resource usage, supply needs and income generated if applicable.
- Must have a strong knowledge of herbal and vegetable plants, propagation methods, cultivation, harvesting and medicinal plant preparation methods
- Must have experience with larger scale landscape maintenance and planning
- Training in organic, biodynamic and/or permaculture methods is a plus
- Knowledge of farming/gardening and typical weather patterns in the Pacific NW
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to perform physical/manual tasks in relation to garden maintenance
- Ability to operate necessary equipment and tools used to develop, expand & maintain a garden of moderate size
- Ability to supervise a team of student gardeners with guidance, clarity & respect
- Willingness to expand knowledge and abilities involving growing medicinal plants and food crops
- Construction skills and/or knowledge of basic construction techniques and hardware helpful
- Organizational skills, filling and office skills
- Able to communicate clearly in a variety of situations and environments
- People skills a must
- Computer skills
Education - Certificates or other degrees in the fields of Landscape Design, Horticulture, Herbal Sciences, Permaculture or Biodynamic agriculture is preferred.
Please refer to job #14-012 and position title (in email subject line) when applying -- send cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit our website at http://www.bastyr.edu/about/jobs/opportunities. Bastyr University is an equal opportunity employer. Persons of color, women, veterans, and disabled individuals are encouraged to apply.