Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center researches, practices, and shares ideas about how humans can benefit from the land in ways compatible with nature.
What We Offer
The Center is located on 230 acres of forest and grassland bordered by Western Washington’s Snoqualmie River. We use this mixed landscape to:
Produce food. We cultivate 30 acres of mixed vegetable crops using agro-ecological principles and engage in research to inform conservation farming practice.
Grow native plants. We operate a native plant nursery that produces plants for habitat restoration projects, educational gardens, and urban landscapes, and conducts research on native plant propagation using sustainable growing methods.
Connect children to nature. We offer environmental education programs for children pre-K thru high school to build their comfort in the outdoors and provide them with opportunities to learn about the links between agriculture, conservation,
Oxbow Education (“Ox Ed”) provides year-round farm-based educational programming for kids. We are seeking a Kids’ Farm intern to assist with farming tasks and education program delivery for the fall season. This position would be a great fit for an energetic person who wishes to learn more about organic farming and outdoor education. While assigned to the Ox Ed team, the Kids’ Farm Intern will work closely when needed with all Oxbow staff and volunteers.
This position reports to the Ox Ed Program Manager. Mandatory start date is Aug. 22, 2016.
- Farming and Gardening: Assist with planting, sowing, weeding, mulching, harvesting, seed-saving and general maintenance and upkeep of Ox Ed infrastructure and 1-acre Kids’ Farm and Living Playground.
- Environmental Education: Participate in delivering environmental/farm education programs to all age groups, including Fall Farm Adventures, birthday parties, weekend farm tours, public education and seasonal festivals.
- Other duties: Perform other tasks as assigned in support of all Oxbow program and business areas, including but not limited to the production farm, conservation and restoration activities, and general operations.
- Experience farming or gardening and/or a strong desire to learn
- Proven knack for working with kids of all ages, primarily youngsters
- Exceptionally positive attitude
- Two-year degree or comparable experience in the area of agriculture, sustainability, food systems, education, or environmental studies
- Comfortable speaking in front of large groups
- Ability to stay organized while juggling multiple time-sensitive projects
- Consistent attention to detail
• Clear, consistent communication
• Ability to perform work in inclement weather, standing, sitting, bending over or kneeling, to lift heavy & awkward objects, up to 50 lbs., and to perform physical work such as digging and planting
- A musical inclination, video or photo editing skills, theatrical experience or any other sort of artistic expertise is a plus! Please make note of any skills you have in your cover letter.
Minimum wage with some paid holidays and access to food from the field
Please email a resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to:
Finance & Operations Manager
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Please write “Ox Ed Intern” in the email subject line and include where you found this position in the message body.
This position will remain open until filled. Mandatory Start Date: Aug. 22nd, 2016