Woodland Park Zoo
REPORTS TO: Manager, Environmental Services
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
PAY RATE: $18.50 per hour POSTING
Applications are now being accepted for Laborer in the Zoo Operations/Grounds department at Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle. There are multuple full-time, seasonal, non-benefited positions to be filled at this time.
Performs routine manual work in a variety of indoor and outdoor work areas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
* Provide manual assistance to other workers and use various types of hand and small power tools such as hammer, saws, axes, drills, seedeaters, backpack blowers, shovels and scythes.
* Perform minor adjustments and repairs to various types of hand and small power
* Set out flares, traffic control devices and provides work site protection, as directed.
* Manually dig trenches, fence post holes, and other holes using hand tools; clean ditches, sewers and storm drains.
* Load and unload materials, equipment, and supplies.
* Drive pickup trucks, sedans, and other small motorized vehicles in connection with manual work activities.
* Perform minor repairs or adjustments, lubrication and safety checks on trucks and trailers.
* Assist in set-ups, room arrangements, and office relocations such as in the set up and removal of chairs, risers, portable turnstiles, and flooring.
* Operate hand held scrubbers and polishers; sweep floors and wash windows.
* Pick up trash, sweep floors, dust, wash, disinfect, vacuum, and perform other tasks to keep areas clean.
* Perform routine custodial work on a comfort station route without a lead worker.
* Perform indoor and/or outdoor litter control and cleaning tasks.
* Assist in the installation, repair, and maintenance of chain link fences, backstops, benches, signs and bleachers. QUALIFICATIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must have basic computer skills to access email and submit online timesheet.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
Valid Washington State Driver's License required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; talk or hear and taste or smell.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment varies.
Applications are only accepted online through our Jobs page at www.zoo.org
; no other forms of application will be accepted. Cover letter and resume are REQUIRED when
applying for this position. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. APPLICATION DEADLINE
: March 26, 2012
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex,
religion, national origin, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression. Application Instructions:
Please apply online at: http://hostedjobs.openhire.com/epostings/submit.cfm?fuseaction=app.dspjob&jobid=174&company_id=16168&jobboardid=855 On-line Application Address, if any : www.zoo.org
Organization Name :
In Harmony Sustainable Landscapes No of Openings:
2 Work Schedule:
M-F; 7AM-3:30PM Hours per Week:
NONE Employment Start Date:
4/2/2012 Employment End Date (if applicable):
Michelle Marr Job Description:
•Aerating and overseeding residential lawns.
•Interact with clients in a professional manner and maintain excellent customer relations.
•Working independantly in a company vehicle. *Qualifications Required:
Clean driving record. Will need to provide a three year drivers abstract.
WA drivers license. Application Instructions:
Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Organization Name :
Excellent compensation & benefits *Job Description:
We are hiring a full-time, year round Landscape Gardener to join the team. Positions
include both seasonal color and heavy maintenance. As a member of this team you will help maintain the highest quality gardening practices and procedures on a private estate.
This is a hands-on position responsible for:
• Cutting lawns using various sized power mowers.
• Trimming and edging using a gas powered edger/trimmer.
• Operating a gas powered blower.
• Maintaining/planting trees, shrubs, and perennials, hedges, climbing roses, vines and containers.
• Assisting in maintaining the greenhouse.
• Planting and maintaining fruits and vegetables for growth and harvest.
• Organizing tables, seedlings, plants and changing out of plants.
• Grooming paths, removing snow and ice from surrounding buildings and entry gate in winter.
• Trash and leaf removal.
• Outdoor and indoor animal care: cleaning cages, tanks and outdoor kennels.
• Physical labor and heavy lifting involved.
• Weekends required during special events and during water rotation schedule.
Benefits: Competitive wages, full range of benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401k, vacation and paid training.
This position will work Weekends with two days off during the week. Hours are typically 8:00am-4:30pm. *Qualifications Required:
• HS diploma or GED and 1+ year gardening/landscaping experience.
• Must be able to work holidays as needed.
• Must possess strong time management skills, ability to work effectively independently as well as a team player.
• Must be comfortable around many different types of animals.
• Ability to understand and speak English, write routine reports and correspondence.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Reliable and dependable.
• Interior floral arranging and/or knowledge helpful. *Application Instructions:
To apply for this position, please send a resume and salary history/compensation expectations to Gardenerjobs@gmail.com
with the title Gardener in the subject line or fax a resume to 206-254-9201. Fax:
Organization Name :
Tavon Center Work Schedule:
flexible Hours per Week:
Lunch on siteJob Description:
Tavon Center, a day program for young adults with disabilities, seeks a hard working, reliable, and compassionate intern to join our gardening team. With a focus on horticultural therapy, Tavon Center provides vocational skill development, stimulating activities, and a sense of community in a comfortable, home-like environment. As an intern at Tavon, you will help staff create and maintain approximately 2,000 square feet of vegetable beds as well as a number of flower beds.
Read more about Tavon Center at: www.tavoncenter.org
We would really like to find someone who already has some basic gardening skills. However, if you are super excited about working with us and don’t have experience gardening, send us an email and maybe we can work something out. We are willing to work with you to create projects that meet your individual needs, as well as complete any necessary documentation. Qualifications Required:
-Gardening and landscape activities such as: vegetable planting and harvesting, weeding, watering, transplanting, compost turning
-CSA and Farmer’s Market preparation
-Other homestead chores as they arise (feeding animals, cleaning tools, making minor repairs, etc.)
-Ability to complete tasks with limited supervision required.
-Must have a willingness to have fun and try new things. Application Instructions:
If this sounds like a good fit for you, please write a paragraph about your experience or interest in working with adults with disabilities as well as the specific gardening skills you have to offer (tasks you can complete completely unsupervised) and the days/times you would be available to work. Also include an applicable resume Contact Information
24017 SE Black Nugget
Issaquah, WA 98029
email@example.com Website: www.tavoncenter.org
Edmonds Landscaping No of Openings:
2 Work Schedule:
8-5 Monday-Friday Hours per Week:
The responsibilities and essential duties typically performed by these positions include; supervision of second man, communication with customers, identification and fueling of 2 and 4 stroke engines, use and maintenance (including height adjustment and blade replacement) of 21 in and 36 in walk behind lawn mowers, use of an edger, hedge trimmer, line trimmer, reciprocating trimmer, and pruning saw. These primary functions of this classification are not to be considered a detailed description of every duty of this job classification, but are meant as an overview. Work Environment:
Applicants must be able to meet the physical requirements of this position and have the mobility, balance, coordination, vision, hearing, and dexterity levels appropriate to the functions performed. Work is performed in outdoor environments with exposure to dirt, dust, noise, fumes, odors, and occasionally poor lighting conditions. Work requires considerable physical exertion in completing tasks and requires bending, lifting, kneeling, and climbing, as well as working on ladders. Qualifications and Requirements:
-Valid WA Driver’s License and acceptable driving record at the time of hire and throughout employment
-Current WSDA Pesticide License
-3 years landscape maintenance experience in the Puget Sound Region, with supervisory responsibilities
-Ability to pass a criminal background screening
-Proof of eligibility to work in the US Tests will be administered in the following areas:
-The use of a variety of Landscape Tools and Equipment
-Basic knowledge of Horticulture (plant identification - 25)
-Irrigation Practices *Application Instructions:
Email resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shops in Bothell is seeking a part-time garden helper to work approximately 20 hours a week beginning in April. This position has the possibility of
becoming permanent part-time year-round employment. The ideal candidate will have the following:
-3-5 years experience in landscape maintenance
-3 days a week (minimum) year-round commitment
-Flexible hours and days
-Self starter able to work unsupervised
-Good plant ID skills
-Good people skills (lots of customer and shop owner
-Strong muscles (lots of walking and whellbarrow hauling required) The following would be a plus, but are not required:
-Degree in horticulture-related field
Live Goods Sales Associate Job Summary:
The live goods sales team member provides excellent service to our customers, and offers friendly, informative, and insightful inspiration. Their goal is to make each customer feel welcome, and exceed their expectations upon every visit. The key to success in this role is to utilize and share their knowledge of plants and gardening, in a selling environment, to make sure every customer goes home with everything they need to be successful in their gardens and homes. The live goods sales team member reports to the Live Goods Department Manager. Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
· Welcome all customers with a smile, an engaging greeting, and provide outstanding Customer Service.
· Listen Effectively
, understand and respond to customer questions. Offer suggestions, solutions and advice that will Inspire
customers to be successful in their gardening and other related endeavors.
· Qualify your customer. Identify their level of knowledge in order to most effectively inform, educate and communicate at their learning level, in order to help them grow as a gardener and as a customer.
· Identify plants and plant diseases and other plant conditions for customers and suggest solutions in way of proper growing conditions, supplemental product, or new plant product for better growing success.
· Respond to pages, phones & radio calls promptly and politely, while adhering to proper
communication etiquette, while still providing outstanding Customer Service clientele in the store.
· Act with enthusiasm and a strong sense of urgency in a fast-paced retail team
· Demonstrate Teamwork
, flexibility, and the ability to work independently.
· Assist with merchandising, and other display projects as directed by Manager.
· Perform product seminars to customer groups as designated by Manager.
· Understand Molbak’s return policy and the resources available to offer solutions.
· Complete all paperwork and other administrative duties in a timely, accurate and thorough manner.
· Attend and participate in departmental meetings.
· Other duties as assigned. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Ability to help multiple customers simultaneously and able to transition from one task to another with ease and efficiency.
· Respond to and educate customers regarding horticultural issues through identification of plants, disease, or cultural issues, and offer solutions and advice for more successful future growth.
· Ability to work standing, walking, bending, climbing, lifting and carrying up to 30 lbs.
repeatedly, and up to 60 lbs. occasionally. Education/Experience
· Training or experience providing outstanding Customer Service to the public.
· Washington Certified Professional Horticulturalist or Master Gardener certification
· Solid knowledge of Puget Sound horticultural and gardening practices as it relates to nursery plants, woody ornamentals, perennials and/or annuals, as well as insects and
diseases, is preferred.
· Knowledge of Integrated Pest Management, and the proven and legal control measures for insects, diseases and weeds is preferred.
*Able to work inside with exposure to extremes of weather & temperature.
*Able to work standing, walking bending, moving, or lifting up to 100% of the day.
*Desire to live the brand, support the culture, & maintain a high level of energy& enthusiasm.Policy: Comply with all company guidelines
This job description is only a summary of typical functions and is not a complete list of possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Other duties as assigned by a manager.View Job Description:
Go to www.Molbaks.com
and click on the“Careers” link. How to Apply:
Apply On-line: Go to www.Molbaks.com
and click on the “Careers” link.
Via Email: Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
In-Store: See our Employment Kiosk in the Reception Area near Home and Gift
One Year Internship
In one of the Pacific Northwest’s premier gardens
A one-year internship is available at the Elisabeth C. Miller Botanical Garden. The position is available starting about the 1st of July with some flexibility to accommodate
applicants’ schedules. The position is focused on garden maintenance and it is essential
that candidates be prepared for rigorous physical labor and work in inclement weather.
Tasks include watering, weeding, leaf raking, planting, pruning, and propagation. There
will also be an opportunity to learn the plant accession database.
The Miller Garden is a three-acre garden with an exceptional collection of woody and
herbaceous plants. The facilities include a small greenhouse, an alpine house, cold frames, a lath house and a small nursery to support garden operations. We are open to the public by appointment only.
We are a very small staff so it is imperative that candidates have a positive attitude and
an excellent work ethic. Horticulture or related education is preferred. Priority is given to applicants currently in school or recently graduated.
The position will last one year from the start date and is funded for 20 hours per week with a wage of $10.00 per hour. Some weekend work is required.
The E. C. Miller Botanical Garden is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send resume with cover letter and references by April 30 to:
Holly Zipp, Head Gardener
Elisabeth C. Miller Botanical Garden
PO Box 77377
Seattle, WA 98177
T 206-362-8612, F 206-362-4136
Check out our web-sites at ….www.millergarden.org
Grounds Assistant, Part Time Bellevue College
seeks temporary part-time Grounds Assistant. Pay is $12 per hour. Working hours are Monday through Friday, between 7am – 3:00 pm. Minimum 4 hour work shift.
Working outside in ALL weather conditions.
Garbage pick up.
Operating walk behind lawn mower.
Clean smoke huts.
Assist Grounds crew as necessary.
Physical ability to lift/pull/push 50lbs.
Ability to bend, stoop and kneel for extended periods of time.
Safe operation of ALL grounds tools and equipment, including EZ Go Carts.
Ability, willingness and experience working outside in all weather conditions.
Must be task oriented and work efficiently with little supervision.
To be determined but estimated 8+ weeks.
Salvador Castro, Building& Grounds Supervisor, Bellevue College, Campus Operations.
425.564.2371 or 425.864.1826
BELLEVUE COLLEGE invites applications for the position of: Grounds & Nursery Specialist 1 SALARY:
$23,148.00 - $29,784.00 Annually OPENING DATE:
03/14/12 CLOSING DATE:
03/28/12 11:59 PM JOB SUMMARY:
There are two vacanices to fill for this recruitment.
Bellevue College is a student-centered, comprehensive and innovative college, committed to teaching excellence that advances the life-long educational development of its students while strengthening the economic, social and cultural life of its diverse community. The college promotes student success by providing high-quality, flexible, accessible educational programs and services; advancing pluralism, inclusion and global awareness; and acting as a catalyst and collaborator for a vibrant region.
We strive to create a vibrant campus community that supports a diverse student body, faculty and staff. As an essential part of our mission and goals, pluralism is promoted
in all aspects of college life. By enriching student life through leadership opportunities, personal learning and cultural experiences, we are committed to building a pluralistic and diverse campus community that fosters creativity, innovation and student success. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL DUTIES:
Campus Operations at Bellevue College is seeking to hire two individuals for the Grounds & Nursery Specialist 1
The position will report to the Maintenance and Grounds Supervisor. The primary job duties are listed below:
-Maintain lawns & athletic field; perform aerating, seeding, fertilizing, mowing and edging.
-Operate backpack blower; perform pressure washing and clean storm drains.
-Perform fountain maintenance and irrigation troubleshooting and repair
-Clean and service outdoor garbage cans and designated smoking shelters.
-Perform pruning, manual weeding, manual application and spreading of mulch.
-Rake and remove leaves, clean storm drains, apply pesticides and perfomr litter control.
-Perform on-going maintenance of motorized equipment and tools.
-Perform related duties as required. QUALIFICATIONS/CORE COMPETENCIES: Minimum Qualifications:
Specific Position Requirements:
- One year of experience or training involving grounds maintenance
- Must have the physical ability to perform the required work
- Ability to lift, push, pull a minimum of 50lbs
- Ability to climb ladders
- Must operate equipment safely
- Must perform maintenance on motorized equipment
- Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license or ability to obtain one upon employment
- Must possess a Washington State Department of Agriculture certification for
pesticide applications or ability to obtain license within one year of employment
- Willingness and ability to work outside in all weather condition
Individuals interested in this position are encouraged to complete or attach the following:
-Complete an online profile
-Attach a resume
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
Human Resources Department, A102, Bellevue College, 3000 Landerholm Circle SE Bellevue, WA 98007-6484. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; closed weekends and holidays.
Bellevue College is committed to increasing cultural diversity among its staff and faculty. Applicants with multicultural experience and/or backgrounds, which will add richness and diversity to Bellevue College, are encouraged to apply.
BC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and operates under an approved Affirmative Action Plan, in accordance with applicable federal and state laws and regulations. BC reaffirms its policy of equal opportunity regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, or status as a disabled veteran, or Vietnam veteran. Bellevue College is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals withdisabilities.
For further information, please visit www.bellevuecollege.edu/equal.asp
or contact Human Resources at 425/564-2274, Fax 425/564-3173 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The college strongly encourages all qualified applicants to apply. The successful candidate must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or eligibility for employment in the United States.
Bellevue College complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act. To request disability accommodation in the application process, employees and the general public should contact Human Resources at the contact information listed above.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:http://bellevuecollege.edu
Position #00002 GROUNDS & NURSERY SPECIALIST 1 MW